CGFC Men back to winning ways – Round 10

Date Sunday 19th June 2016
Teams Mitchell Rangers Thirds vs Castlemaine Goldfields FC
Location Broadford

Half time score 0 – 2
Full time score 1 – 3

League position 2nd

Report Aaron Shooter – Edited by Tony Cormack

CGFC Senior Men enjoyed a comfortable 3-1 win taking them back to 2nd in the ladder with a game in hand on leaders Brunswick who could only muster a 1-1 draw vs Western Eagles.

The men’s squad travelled to Broadford to take on Mitchell Rangers. Their previous encounter on the opening weekend of the season saw Castlemaine take out a convincing 5-0 win. On a compact pitch that was heavy under foot and a small list of absent players the team took to the field confident of a repeat victory.

In the early stages Mitchell Rangers played some football in the front third, as the Maine took time to find their composure, but most of the play ended in throw ins to Castlemaine. Once settled the Mainers played with the ball at their feet and started to push on, the resulting pressure forcing slew of throw ins and corners at the oppositions end of the pitch.

On the 15 min mark a trademark long throw from Dave Richardson found Rainer Canobie-Harris who brought the ball down confidently on his chest, in the follow up ‘Jono’  Burris slotted home to opening the scoring.

Maine were now in total control. The new look back four comfortably dealt with any threats from the Rangers who were now only attacking on the break. As the 23 minute mark ticked over Dave had another long throw into the Rangers’ goal mouth, this time finding Jono’s head who found the net for his second of the afternoon.

At half time the boys headed to the sheds feeling sure the second half would follow much the same pattern.

From the kickoff Castlemaine once again pushed on with Dave and Jono dominating the midfield. With solid play down both wings being strangled by offside calls the Maine couldn’t seem to put the ball in front of goals. At this stage, and to their frustration, decisions were not going Castlemaines’ way, however finally on the 53 minute mark a clear foul was awarded with a free kick. Dave took it and landed it squarely in the Rangers box, in the ensuing a scramble Jono once again found space and slotted home for a well earned hat-trick.

The goal took it’s toll though with Jono leaving the field shortly after. His presence missed, the Rangers now had more time on the ball and started to press harder and harder. They continued to look more composed with the ball and played it around patiently pressuring the Maine back line, demanding more and more respect for their efforts. Though Castlemaine still looked likely to threaten on the break it was getting tougher as the time ticked on.

2 minutes before the final whistle Rangers played a well timed short through ball to a player who’d finally broken the Maine defensive line, neatly tucking it past Jules Whitcroft-McGalde, denying him another clean sheet.

The final minutes were played out comfortably with the lads leaving the pitch having felt more contained by the official than the opposition. Once again the club song rang out loudly in the away sheds after another well deserved 3 points. This weekend the Men enjoy a BYE before back to back games v local rivals Kyneton on the 3rd and 10th July.

Jono Burris 3

Dave Richardson 1

Posted in Men